 Star Wars / 8607
Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:39:32 GMT

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.starwars, Tim Courtney writes:

I would think that (and this is just my opinion) TLC would have the least
resistance not playing the race card.

  "Race card" has connotations well in excess of the bounds of this debate • and
should be employed with caution.  Typically the term is used in situations • in
which the implication of racism is perceived to yield a result positive to • one
side's view or agenda.  The debate at hand (disregarding the benighted and
generally unhelpful contributor you correctly cite below) involves not
the "race" of minifigs, but their depiction of specific characters. The
term "race card" is imprecise, and its repeated inclusion here changes the
focus of the debate from character representations to racial stereotyping.

Ok, I see this now where I didn't quite see it before, and will refrain from
using that phrase in the future.  It was not a conscious intention of mine
to create a stereotype, I was referring to Damien's actions in the group in
specific.

And sure, having the darker colored characters represented as darker colored
minifigs in the sets *enhances* them and is accurate.  So what's the big
deal?  They should go for it.

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=6296
http://news.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=8538
http://news.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=8462

  These are undeniably goofy posts and contribute little positive to the
discussion.  Regretably, their presence cheapens the debate as a whole.

Yes, they do cheapen the debate, and as you can see this point is where I
decided to step in.  I know that he is certainly not winning any points for
his side by acting in the way he has been on this issue.

The attitudes expressed in Damien's posts I find offensive. He also has a
few totally illogical arguments like 'making C-3P0 green and the • Millenium
Falcon pink.'

  While his presentation is scattershot, a useful point can be reassembled
from his offerings.  Specifically, if the question of representational • minifig
color is regarded as equivalent to the representation of specific • vehicles,
then his analogy is correct. If, however, the issue is forcibly regarded • as
race-oriented, then his analogy, like his posts in general, fails.

I don't think they can be linked - the minifig question is a race issue IMO,
like it or not.  Because this is how people are going to see it.  We may
differ on this, but after watching this discussion (and I haven't read every
post either), I have come to regard it as such.  You, on the other hand, may
not regard it as such.  Its individual perception.

Anyways, I don't think that this issue should break up LUGNET, cause members
to become tired of such a discussion, or even push people to steer away from
the community.  The way I see it being fought is of a nature that will do
that.  I've spoken with a few people who have turned away from Lugnet
because of their feelings towards people here about something they feel
strongly about.  It wasn't racism, but it wasn't pretty.  Its unfortunate
when that happens and I'd like to not see it happen here.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114
AIM: TimCourtne