 Star Wars / 8620
Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 14:38:56 GMT

Well, actually, there could be tremendous political consequences and headaches
for TLC no matter what they do.  I've been over their choices and possible
negative reactions before, though, so I won't retread that ground.

I would really rather
leave race out of LEGO completely.

So would I.  Unfortunately, when Lego took a license to represent real people,
it made it impossible.

Except that TLC did not model the figs in "natural" skin tones.  They used
bright yellow.  Had they modeled the light skinned characters in tan then it
would make sense to model the dark skinned characters in brown.  (I was
surprised and slightly dissapointed that they didn't do this.) However because
they used yellow to represent the figs then that is the only color they should
use.  I personally find it offensive that so many people automatically
associate bright yellow with light skin tones rather than TLC's obvious (to me
anyway) intent to represenct humans, period.  FYI when I was a kid I saw
mini-figs and the inhabitants of "Planet Lego" not as humans at all.  I still
take this attitude and hope that all this idiotic Earth based bickering does
not totally screw up my perfect non-human Legoverse.

This concludes my $0.02

-Lord Insanity