 Star Wars / 8630
Re: My 2 cents on the future
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 23:36:24 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Simmons writes:
To me, the best solution for now is still to get out the model paint and do
it yourself!

(DSM pics follow)

Do it yourself: that's exactly what I did for "Juba", the character from the
movie Gladiator. Several Johnny Thunder minifigs became test subjects. I made a
pale one for Maximus. Thinking: it's dumb to leave Maximus yellow too, side by
side with Juba who is no longer yellow, because in that context it does pose the
question, what does yellow mean? Yellow loses its neutrality after that.

The purely technical problems are mixing the proper tone and matching it later,
and adding facial features back in (haven't tried yet). I used acrylic--hats can
scratch it right off again. Juba was supposed to be bald but he was scratched
already so I put hair on to hide it.

Juba could now pretend to be Lando, although real-life Djimon Hounsou is not
exactly Billy Dee Williams, but THIS minifig can't claim to accurately depict
anybody. (:

http://www.ancient-theme.com/gladiator
(just a temp page with pictures right now, bear with me)

I don't care to fuel the debate by debating *here*, but, hey, I've gone and used
the paintbrush. Enjoy.