 Star Wars / 8621
8620  |  8622
Subject:
the never ending struggle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 20:28:02 GMT

    I geuss I have to thank dave for clarifying certain points from my
and how a yellow lando would be about as good as a blue chewbacca or a green
3po.  In defense of my incendiary comments and the language I use in some of
my posts, I have to say that I am on a mission to get lugnetters to see beyond
their immediate surroundings, both physical and intellectual.  The "race
issue," as I've pointed out in previous postings, is simply less prevalent in
some areas than others.  I'd love to believe that race is not an issue in such
areas because of an acrosss-the-board acceptance and respect of all cultures
and ethnicities, but I think that most of us adults know that this is not the
case.  The most likely reason for the absence of a "race issue" is a lack of
cultural diversity in an area.  It's really easy for people to become isolated
within their own communities and feel detached from issues that they might
feel do not concern them.  With my language and commentary, I'm not only
insinuating that certain lugnet users have not been in situations where they
are of a racial minority, I'm also insinuating that they just don't have as
much cross-cultural contact as is necessary to feel empathetic towards the
plight of a class of people who continue to struggle for acceptance as equals.
Every black kid grows up understanding that there are places in the world
where they are not accepted, they are not necessarilly instructed to avoid
such places, they are merely informed of such situations in order to be better
prepared for them when they are encountered.  Sadly, I think that most white
kids are raised without any idea of the fact that there are places in this
world where they are not accepted, and when and if they become aware of such
situations, they are taught to avoid them.
  So pardon my french, but know that I speak as I write and I write as I
speak, if you're ever lucky enough to meet w/ me face to face you may begin to
comprehend why.  Also understand that I am not an anomoly amongst my peers;
there are many terms and phrases in our common usage that would be considered
offensive by some.  But what can I say?  It's the way that we communicate and
we're not only fine with it, we enjoy it.
  But enough of my reasonings on what perpetuates racial division in our
country, and back to Lego.  It seems that many of us are in agreement that as
far as the Star Wars system sets are concerned, Lego should introduce DSMs.
I've already e-mailed Brad J. concerning this issue once, and I am still
waiting for him to get back at me.  The whole point of these threads IMHO was
to generate enough support to approach lego about dealing with this issue.
Please, If you support the addition of a Lando DSM to the lego world, please
follow suit and e-mail mr.justus so that we may solicit an official response
from TLC concerning this.

  Until then, I'll be puffin' on a phillie, sippin' a forty, and throwin' my
set up in the grill of any sucker m.c.'s who try fi test me.

  Grand Dragon D