 Off-Topic / Debate / 6335
Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 03:41:08 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

But my statement you quote pretty much holds regardless: Lego has an all-
yellow policy (for whatever reason), and it does seem traditional.

Right, and that's a good reason to keep it.

This reminds me of the time when I was introduced to my arranged bride-to-be
(my wedding day, of course).  Apparently, the dowry her parents could offer
was meager, but she said she would go out and work to make us more money.
Well, obviously I couldn't have any wife of mine out working- that would go
against tradition!- and I had to beat her with a switch to get her back in
line. Don't worry, I followed the "rule of thumb"- the switch was no bigger
around than my thumb- so it was all very traditional.

Yeah, traditions are important, even when they're hurtful.  That's what I had
to get her to understand.  It's nice to see that you already do.

Eric, I seriously doubt that the yellow minifig is as repulsive as domestic
violence. I think you cheapen your argument by reacting in that way to Bruce's
assessment of TLC's position (as I understand his comments). That's TLC's
position, not his own.

Quoting from http://news.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=8622 :

If you want my take on choice of color: When Lego first started
manufacturing representations of humans, they didn't have the capacity to
produce bricks in more than, say, seven colors. Of all those, yellow was the
only one that even remotely suggested human appearance (blue, green, white,
red, gray & black all being too artificial). After a couple of years,
technology did make a choice of color possible, but the instant recognition
involved with Lego System minifigs was such a strong attribute of the brand
that changing it would be outright stupid.

I disagree with a lot of what Thomas says in that post (and the way he says
it), but I think this theory is very likely. The next question is: How do we
interpret the universal yellowness of human minifigs? The explanation I prefer
is stated above, at http://news.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=8633 . Briefly:

In Legoland everyone is physically the same. Maybe I'm reading too much
into it, but I see this as a metaphor for political equality...
"Yellow=everyone" probably is a retroactive excuse. But it's also an active
possibility. The generic smiley is Anyone. It changes gender with a new
hairstyle, profession with a new tool, time period with a new costume. No
longer is it a little European child playing dress-up; now it's Anyone who can
do anything.

Eric, I'd be interested to hear what you think of this perspective.

--Dave