 Off-Topic / Debate / 4456
  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) The reason I'm interested in knowing what the 1st Commandment originally meant (or, more importantly, from an evolution-of-religion point of view, what it means to people nowadays) is because religions are memes vying for dominance in the (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em: I'm interested in what the commandment about "no graven images" originally meant and what it means now. Can't remember off hand. (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Todd, you might be interested in reading "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson. It's a slightly goofy cyberpunk novel that toys with the concept of religious memes. Josh Spaulding josh_spaulding@hotmail.com (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) have (...) meant (...) Well, if God's going to hold you accountable for what you've done with what you know. (And that's the impression I get from reading Romans 1 and 2) Then don't you think He would take the time and make the effort to let (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) First off, my translation of the original, hebrew 2nd commandment: "You shall not make yourself any statue and any picture". It originally told the Jews not to create or worship images and/or statues of the dieties. These were very common (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I didn't want to be picky, so I almost didn't post this, but... It's important to realize that not every religion has a God. That is, I think, one of the more common differences between Eastern and Western religions. Ben Roller (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) And I'm currently interested in what in the world the book was that talked about memes that my anthropology professor mentioned cause now you people have me curious and want to read that. (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) There's a good book called _Virus_of_the_Mind_ -- probably available at Amazon or Fatbrain or B&N. (And hey, if B&N doesn't have it, nobody does! ;-) --Todd (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

I loathe the term "meme." It seems to focus on form to the exclusion of substance, as if ideas were magical incantations that just take over and needn't be analyzed very deeply. I think the meme theory appeals to a void in the mind of bankrupt (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  memes (Was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Consider the following bits of everyday information: * Tanoy message in the subway stating that all trains westbound are delayed * The release date for a software package is May 2000 * Street Preacher (Manic or not) telling you that your soul (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Library vs Internet