 Off-Topic / Debate / 4487
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 04:54:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Rick Kujawa writes:
I guess if you can't beat 'em, join
'em:  I'm interested in what the
commandment about "no graven
images" originally meant and
what it means now.  Can't
remember off hand.
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd
Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Markus Wolf writes:
(a) admits that other deities exist and disallows their worship, or
(b) disavows the existance of other deities, or
(c) whether His answer to that would be "splunge."

One things for sure.  When it all comes down, it doesn't matter how many
arguments I have for or against anything.  I think at the end, God will • have
a bigger case.

The reason I'm interested in knowing what the 1st Commandment originally • meant
(or, more importantly, from an evolution-of-religion point of view, what it
means to people nowadays) is because religions are memes vying for dominance
in the minds of their hosts, and I'm curious how the 1st Commandment figures
into Christianity's current toehold.

--Todd

     Well, if God's going to hold you accountable for what you've done with
what you know.  (And that's the impression I get from reading Romans 1 and 2)
Then don't you think He would take the time and make the effort to let you
know all you can?  What would you do if you were God and so many voices were
saying, "This is the truth.  That is the truth."  I know what I would do. (and
excuse my bias)  I would come down myself, clothing myself in a body that
people could understand, and demonstrate who I was.  I would display the
power, declare the truth about me, and set up some kind of system to continue
that message.
     So for me, the best thing to study is what the God-Man said.  Not some
angel, 'cuz some of the angels are capable of lying (the devil can come
disguised as an angel of light.  Not what some guys who claim to follow God,
because every religion says that they do.  But get back to the time when it
was the freshest and most clear.  God promised to reveal the truth to anyone
who is truly seeking it.  Of course, he also said, for others, not to cast
pearls before swine.  So every night, knowing I could be dead wrong on alot of
issues, ask God to straighten me out and speak to me in a way I can
understand, like he did a bunch o' years ago.  That's how I'd deal with it
anyway.

Markus