 Off-Topic / Debate / 4459
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 22:23:13 GMT

I guess if you can't beat 'em, join
'em:  I'm interested in what the
commandment about "no graven
images" originally meant and
what it means now.  Can't
remember off hand.
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd
Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Markus Wolf writes:
(a) admits that other deities exist and disallows their worship, or
(b) disavows the existance of other deities, or
(c) whether His answer to that would be "splunge."

One things for sure.  When it all comes down, it doesn't matter how many
arguments I have for or against anything.  I think at the end, God will have
a bigger case.

The reason I'm interested in knowing what the 1st Commandment originally meant
(or, more importantly, from an evolution-of-religion point of view, what it
means to people nowadays) is because religions are memes vying for dominance
in the minds of their hosts, and I'm curious how the 1st Commandment figures
into Christianity's current toehold.

--Todd