 Off-Topic / Debate / 4458
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 22:21:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter Callaway wrote:

A freind of mine recounts an interesting story. He went to a Jewish wedding
where one of the Bride and Groom's friends was asked to read from the Bible.
Knowing he was a Christian the father of the Groom watched like a hawk to • make
sure nothing was read from the New Testament, so the friend carefully • selected
a passage from the book of Isaiah. Well, the father flew off in a rage and
accused the friend of all sorts of anti-Semetic things because he thought the
friend was reading from the New Testament, until he pointed out the passage • he
read from the Old Testament. I love that story.

I seem to remember that Isaiah is one of the major source of messianic
prophecy.  Sounds like the friend was carefully trying to provoke the
father of the groom.

Steve

Not so much provoke the man, but do what Christians (and Jesus Himself) have
been trying to do for the last 2000 odd years - show that Jesus is the Saviour
they've been waiting for, and demonstrate this throught teachings in the
Jewish Bible (aka The Old Testament), teachings that they study and claim to
know and understand.

It was Isaiah 53 that he read out. Have a read of it yourself, and then read
the book of Luke and judge for yourself. Hebrews is another great New
Testament book which explains the Old Testament references.

Pete Callaway