 Off-Topic / Debate / 3623
Re: ("life affirming" == "no initiation of force") == "all rigihts are property rights"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 03:29:52 GMT

what does it mean to manipulate matter?
what does it mean to create something?
if an animal is amoral, can it have property?
if things are required for survival, how does one obtain them by reason,
as reason is the tool we have?

I'm not sure at what level of detail you want these answered, but I'll take a
stab at it.

(What does it mean to manipulate matter?)
It means, at the most basic of levels, that I am exercising my will on my
surroundings.

(What does it mean to create something?)
At a very fundamental level, creation is meaningless, but I'm assuming you want
to move it a step or two closer to relevance.  It means that my environment has
been manipulated into a form that wouldn't have occured without intervention.

(If an animal is amoral, can it have property?)
I don't see morality and property as intrinsically linked.  So, depending on
what you mean by "property", I'll give a cautious yes.

(If things are...tool we have?)
Hmm.  I'm not sure how to read this.  I could just say that we use our reason
to direct the manipulation of our environment such that the things we need are
created, but that's a bit glib, and circular to boot.  Also, I could argue that
reason alone is insufficient, but that's nitpicking.  Hmm.
My instinct right now would be that reason allows us to circumvent the
'instinct' loop, but I don't think that's all there is too it.  I'll have to
think about this one some more.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/