 Off-Topic / Debate / 3445
Re: ("life affirming" == "no initiation of force") == "all rigihts are property rights"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 05:02:31 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

I want to run another thing by you.

Could it not be said, that by choosing to live in a certain community,
one agrees to abide by a "social contract"?

Yes, the social contract argument is one that's familiar to me and in
fact has been advanced here in this very group before, although not very
crisply, to my way of thinking. It was more along the lines of "my
country, love it or leave it" level argument.

Given what I take meaning of contract to be (freely entered into by both
parties, no coercion on either side) I'm willing to stipulate that one
does in fact make that agreement, as long as one lives in a
society/environment in which one can choose not to make any contract
with any commmunity. Merely declining to live in one community and then
being forced to pick some other existing one rather than none doesn't
count as free choice about contracting.

That's the argument I used before, that given that we're currently stuck
on this planet, the social contracts offered are not coercion free and
therefore are not contracts. I cannot even go out to currently unclaimed
territory and start a new country, someone will come along and claim
that they have soverignity. (cf. the proposal to take an oil platform
out into international waters and start a new country. Nutty people
floating the idea (1) but interesting idea nonetheless)

1 - sorry