 Off-Topic / Debate / 3470
Re: Questions about the nature of property rights (was Re: ("life affirming" == "no initiation of force") == "all rigihts are property rights"?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:22:38 GMT

I realized that last night I failed to address an important question I'd
raised earlier:

Which (if any) of these abilities apply to property? Do they apply to all
property? If you accept that property can be intangible (an idea, for
example) do they apply to that in the same way they would to physical
property?

The ideas I've expressed <URL:http://www.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=3467>
apply only to the physical universe -- that is, matter (and potentially
energy, because of that equivalence thing). They specifically don't apply to
ideas and to minds (both animal and human). If we want to allow ownership of
these, seperate concepts need to be developed.

I'm not going to fully flesh out these concepts here, but I would like to
address them briefly.

For ideas:

I can see how the first of my listed property rights could also be applied
to the realm of ideas. Through interaction with a concept, I can make it in
some way mine. But I don't the right listed in section 3 makes any _sense_
when one tries to apply it to ideas. And I think that any rights we may want
to construct to deal with sections 2, 4, and 5 will likely differ strongly
from rights dealing with property in the physical world.

For minds [1]:

I don't accept the concept of property as being applicable to minds at all.
Property may be bits of the universe that I interact constructively with;
_I_ am what is doing the interaction. There's a definite subject/object
distinction. Because of that, and because minds are different from matter, I
don't accept the idea of property as applying to my mind or to anyone
else's. I'd include animals in this even; our relationship with them is more
complicated than that of simple property.

[1] I'm not espousing a mind/body duality here -- the mind and body may be
intrinsically linked, yet there is undeniably something which makes a mind
distinct from physical matter. If you'd rather say "person" or "being" where
I say mind, that works too.