 Off-Topic / Debate / 3450
3449  |  3451
Subject:
Questions about the nature of property rights (was Re: ("life affirming" == "no initiation of force") == "all rigihts are property rights"?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 05:48:22 GMT

I see at least four distinct potential abilities related to property. I
don't believe that any of these can be derived from any other. These may or
may not be things that one can do with property (or, ahem, properties of
property), and there may or may not be rights associated with them.

1. The ability to gain property.

   There's lots of stuff in the universe. How does some of it become "mine"?

2. The ability to retain property.

   Once something is my property, what makes it stay that way?

3. The ability to do stuff to property.

   I can alter something I own in various ways. I can of course alter things
   that aren't mine, but there may be special rights associated with things
   I do.

4. The ability to release property.

   If I've made something mine, can I undo that?

A fifth ability relates to all four of the above. I seperate it out because
it seems more dependent than the above -- it could be a subset if #3, and
certainly relates to #4 and #1. (And if #2 isn't valid, it seems moot.)

(5). The ability to transfer ownership.

   If I own something, can I make it into something you own? Does this
   happen directly, or does it pass through an intermediate step of
   nonownership?

Which (if any) of these abilities apply to property? Do they apply to all
property? If you accept that property can be intangible (an idea, for
example) do they apply to that in the same way they would to physical
property?

Furthermore, which of the abilities have rights associated with them? What
are those rights, and what is the association?