 Off-Topic / Debate / 3478
Re: Questions about the nature of property rights (was Re: ("life affirming" == "no initiation of force") == "all rigihts are property rights"?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 05:27:12 GMT

Christopher Weeks <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote:
Well, if you are meaning a mind as different than a brain, I think it's
safe to just call it an idea (in the context you use above).  It's a
complex bit of software.  Whatever intellectual property rights arise
from this whole discussion would then apply.  Or am I way off base?

That's not clear at all. The mind-as-software concept is one way it may
possibly be, but that's actually a fairly radical view. It's something I'm
agnostic about until we've got further information. In the meantime, this is
such an important point that I think we'd better give the benefit of the
doubt. And even if mind-as-software thing is accurate, there's still
definitely a distinction -- I didn't invent my mind; I just have it.