 Off-Topic / Debate / 3459
Re: ("life affirming" == "no initiation of force") == "all rigihts are property rights"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 15:07:23 GMT

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000 05:02:31 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Given what I take meaning of contract to be (freely entered into by both
parties, no coercion on either side) I'm willing to stipulate that one
does in fact make that agreement, as long as one lives in a
society/environment in which one can choose not to make any contract
with any commmunity. Merely declining to live in one community and then
being forced to pick some other existing one rather than none doesn't
count as free choice about contracting.

That's the argument I used before, that given that we're currently stuck
on this planet, the social contracts offered are not coercion free and

We're not stuck on this planet. You can, with current technology, go
to the moon/Mars and live there. It would merely cost immense amounts
of money, but that's irrelevant.

therefore are not contracts. I cannot even go out to currently unclaimed
territory and start a new country, someone will come along and claim
that they have soverignity. (cf. the proposal to take an oil platform
out into international waters and start a new country. Nutty people
floating the idea (1) but interesting idea nonetheless)

Given that the notion of 'country' historically really rests on "being
able to adequately protect its citizens from invasion by other
countries", if you get sovereignty claimed and enforced, you're not
doing a good job at being a country.

Jasper