 Off-Topic / Debate / 3443
Re: ("life affirming" == "no initiation of force") == "all rigihts are property rights"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 04:54:11 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:

Remember that I haven't granted that there is even such a thing as a
property right yet. That's one of the things I'm asking you to prove.

OK, fair enough. Just to be clear, if we posit that there are no
property rights, under such a system of rights calculus, it might well
be OK for you to walk up to me and rip food out of my hand, food that I
traded someone else for, or grew myself (although where I did it, not
having property rights to land, isn't clear) and since that food isn't
my property, it isn't initiating force to take it away from me.

Is that the essence? If so, I'm going  to have to think about this for a
while, because that idea is so obviously "wrong" that it's going to take
some work to show why.

So it's not a fair application of the force-initiation test if you're already
assuming your point proven.

Well I didn't think I was assuming that all rights are necessarilyu
property rights within my proof but I certainly was assuming that such
rights existed...

But I think the ground may be shifting on me, I thought I was to try to
show that all rights are necessarily property rights, not that I had to
justify the very idea that a person can have property.

That's a different question, and one I'd take rather a different
approach to. Basically, at the 50,000 foot level, I would show that
disallowing the very notion of property is anti life affirming (using
your tripartite partition into pro, neutral and anti life affirming,
although I could debate whether there is a neutral or not) rather than
merely neutral. Why do YOU think I'd say that?