 Off-Topic / Debate / 3622
Re: stuff (was: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 03:18:56 GMT

Richard Franks wrote:

For those of us who are die-hard constitutionalists (Scott and I
disagree on quite a bit, but seem to agree on this), freedom is more
important than quality of life.  Or maybe you should think of it as a
requisite, where nothing else really matters until freedom is secured.

Living in Scotland and all.. you'd think I'd be the one with that message ;) I
have a lot (maybe total) sympathy with that viewpoint though.

But to answer the point that you were trying to make - I am a vegetarian,
but I don't make judgements upon other people,

How do you avoid it?

Because I spent my mid-to-latter teenage years doing so before deciding that it
was a wrong and indefencable occupation. That just because people have a
difference of opinion with me, or do things that I wouldn't do - that bears no
reflection on themselves, purely on the basis of what my personal morals are.

If I believed that there was a universal truth, or was arrogant enough to
believe that I had stumbled upon one then maybe I could defend that
religiously.. but I don't so I can't.

or try to convince them of the evils
of their ways. Why not? Because I could be wrong, or more importantly I
could be right, but still I don't self-righteously proclaim myself ruler of
the moral kingdom.

I do.  Most of these issues don't have a right and wrong to them.  It's
a matter of preference.  If I can convince people to have the same
preference that I do, then the world is more likely to bend to my ideal.

Eek.

Well, Richard, I am not the smartest person in the world, or the wisest,

Neither am I..

I'm glad you've both left that place open for me  ;-)

You're welcome :)

Granted, not living in America doesn't help, but I'd be happy if you showed
where I was being ignorant so that I could become less so.

Mostly it seems to be a difference of opinion.

I thought so, but then there is a lot to learn, and I'm fully prepared to
accept that I'm ignorant on a great many things.

Richard