 Off-Topic / Debate / 3621
3620  |  3622
Subject:
stuff (was: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:02:12 GMT

Richard Franks wrote:

Lego has nothing to do with taxes or unemployment, Richard. I was merely
pointing out all the freebies associated with European governments end
up with high taxes and high unemployment.

From personal experience I'd have to disagree with that statement, but I would
have to do some research before backing it up.

Yeah, actually, I thought the reason they do stuff like mandatory leaves
and long vacations was to keep the unemployment rate low.  I think we
have to agree on higher taxes though (not like they're low here in the US).

Government, in my definition, does not give out good quality of life. Freedom
does that.

Government, in my experience, does not give out a good quality of life, but
that isn't to say that freedom would, or that some sort of governing system
couldn't.

For those of us who are die-hard constitutionalists (Scott and I
disagree on quite a bit, but seem to agree on this), freedom is more
important than quality of life.  Or maybe you should think of it as a
requisite, where nothing else really matters until freedom is secured.

Well, I certainly don't pay attention to advertising, I go out and find

Bzzt.  Thanks for playing.  Everyone pays attention to advertising.  It
has subliminal and overt effects on all of us.  I don't really have a TV
(and I won't), so I avoid that vector of advertising, but I do read
commercial and web publications and I see ads that I am sure have
effects on my behavior.

But to answer the point that you were trying to make - I am a vegetarian, but I
don't make judgements upon other people,

How do you avoid it?

or try to convince them of the evils
of their ways. Why not? Because I could be wrong, or more importantly I could
be right, but still I don't self-righteously proclaim myself ruler of the moral
kingdom.

I do.  Most of these issues don't have a right and wrong to them.  It's
a matter of preference.  If I can convince people to have the same
preference that I do, then the world is more likely to bend to my ideal.
It seems only logical to proslytize.

Most people say the Republican party is for the rich. How so, when I am
considered poor / lower middle class?

Probably for complex social reasons having more to do with what your
parents believed than what you have reasoned out about the way the world
works.  This is, I believe, why most party afiliation exists.

Well, Richard, I am not the smartest person in the world, or the wisest,

Neither am I..

I'm glad you've both left that place open for me  ;-)

Granted, not living in America doesn't help, but I'd be happy if you showed
where I was being ignorant so that I could become less so.

Mostly it seems to be a difference of opinion.

Chris