 Off-Topic / Debate / 22327
Re: This Californian Has Voted. Have You?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 17:03:00 GMT

   You dismissed a range of other candidates just because you didn’t know their names. This suggests that your vote is based on celebrity or notoriety in preference to substance; that’s hardly unique to you, but it’s hardly a commendable trait in a would-be informed citizen.

Honestly, I dismissed most of them for pretty much the same reason - I didn’t know their name simply because they were not seriously running for governor. And let’s add to that I dismissed the names that were similiar to better known people but that I knew were not them. One other name got into the press occasionally, Mary Carey, but let’s not go into her (OooooOOOOooo, can I say that on Lugnet?). :-)

In one sense, it was good because we didn’t have the parties filtering out the candidates so that we weren’t limited to the studiosly bland (Davis) or the darling of the fanatics (Simon). Alas, in that better candidates in Riordan and Feinstein didn’t run.

   But you’ve said numerous times that it was Arnold’s charisma (not “charasima,” by they way) that won him your vote. Based on that statement and your statement above, it seems that the primary qualifications for elected office are:

1. Charisma

Clinton won, Bore lost. Motivating people is at least a part of leadership (though action without direction or in the wrong direction will waste that ultimately).

2. Having gained the public’s attention.

If you don’t you are doomed. But gaining the public’s attention only gets your foot in the door. Arianna has her published opinion pieces. Camejo has the backing of the Green Party. Ueberroth had the Olympic Games. In California, what you really need is money, which helps in getting and keeping the public’s attention. Which means you either need to raise money (pander to special interests) or be filthy rich. An barely-known carpetbagger from out of state spent $30 million of his own money and came with an eyelash of defeating the (at the beginning of the campaign) most respected officeholder in the state, Diane Feinstein, simply by running the most negative campaign possible (Arianna’s ex, Michael Huffington). Arnold had both money of his own, and contacts high within business and politics.

Woe to the republic if that’s really what it’s about.

It has to be said that Schwarzenegger made the most of his opportunity. He didn’t have to run against a Democrat with the full force of the party behind their candidate. If it had been two separate votes, Feinstein may have run, and she was the preferred candidate in all the polls. He didn’t have to face the conservative forces in his own party during a primary: either a pandering conservative one to win the primaries (and therefore see his centrist position destroyed in the general election), or run his centrist general campaign and see him risk losing to the hard-core right-wingers, as his good buddy did with similiar philosophies, Richard Riordan, to the pathetic Bill Simon. The standard filtering system gave California voters the truly awful choice of Davis or Simon in the last election, and the results can be seen. Arnold became a symbol of the frustration the voters felt with both major parties.

   If you’re talking that Hitler crap just drop it. My own view is those who brought up this are thinking they can pull off another David Duke incident. It won’t work. I sure haven’t seen neo-nazi videos or photos with Arnold.

Let me get this straight--rather than discuss an issue with real relevance to Arnold’s character, you’d prefer simply to drop it? That hardly seems consistent with the mentality of an informed electorate.

I’d say simply drop it, too. Even my ultra-liberal friends dismissed that issue instantly because it was so obvious that the quotes were taken out of context, as did I. Events proved that assumption to be right.

   Perhaps you’re aware that Arnold spoke very fondly of Kurt Waldheim at Arnold’s wedding?

“My friends don’t want me to mention Kurt’s name, because of all the recent Nazi stuff and the U.N. controversy, but I love him and Maria does too, and so thank you. Kurt.”

Guilt by association? Or expression of ideas?

-->Bruce<--