 Off-Topic / Debate / 22294
Re: This Californian Has Voted. Have You?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:28:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Adrian Egli wrote:
I just got my "I Voted" sticker.

Well, my vote has been made and I'll pass them along.  I would like to hear
from the rest of LUGNET's Californians.

Recall- YES.
Replace with- "The Terminator"

Out of curiosity, what led you to conclude that Arnold was the best qualified
candidate to head the world's fifth-largest economy?

I don't remember if they did this before but when they removed the ballot
they flipped it over and asked "Clean?"  I looked and replied "Yes" then
into the box it went.  There was so much whining that they had to use these
new voting machines to avoid the hanging chad but something so simple as
asking the voter to see if there are/aren't any makes me wonder why the
BLANK we need to?

One reason is that this is a potential violation of voter privacy. Another
reason was that this courteous ballot-checking wasn't in place in Florida in
2002, so the "whining" you decry was in fact a reasonable (and legally
responsible) objection to possibly inadequate voting procedures.  Additionally,
many ballot-punching machines don't grant the voter a chance to review the
ballot before it's dumped in the box.

     Dave!