 Off-Topic / Debate / 22323
Re: This Californian Has Voted. Have You?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 21:16:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   If they had devoted 3 reporters for 7 weeks to investigate this, surely Gray Davis could have been portrayed in a very poor light. Simliarly Bustamante and McClintock may have character flaws ...

Character flaws? If true, the actions described are generally in the way of sexual assault. I might have a bad temper -- yeah, that’s bad. But if I grope your wife, daughter, brother, son, or even you -- I’ve probably committed a crime!

   3. The timing.

IIRC, the guy only threw his hat in the ring 8 weeks ago. This story has been simmering on the Drudge Report for almost that long. The story is neither new, nor exclusive to the LA Times.

And truly -- print is dead! Even online, the LA Times, like the NY Times, requires registration/subscription and other tedious hurdles to read it.

You wanna talk endorsement? See this image on the front page of CNN right now:

It’s Gov. Schwarzenegger

Action movie hero Arnold Schwarzenegger, a political novice, is poised to tackle what may be his toughest role yet -- governor -- with his decisive victory in California’s colorful and rollicking recall race. “California has given me the greatest gift of all,” said Schwarzenegger. The governor-elect is expected to face reporters’ questions in a news conference this afternoon.

Most of the time, online sources seem to gleefully use the worst possible pictures of a politician. After weeks of intense quasi-entertainment, quasi-political focus on Arnold almost every day, CNN is wrapping up with this beautifully photoshopped image suitable for framing.

Get a clue. Schwarzenegger had every advantage: an angry electorate just waiting to pink-slip Davis, a far larger war-chest than any other candidate (gee, I wonder where all that money came from?), extensive slanted news coverage of unprecedented proportions, and very possibly Diebold and plain old corruption assisted voting fraud. If nothing else, money buys power.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/recall/story/7555192p-8496588c.html

Phillip Durrett, 55, found a different problem when he went to cast his ballot at Matsuyama Elementary School in the Pocket. He arrived without his sample ballot and asked for one from poll workers.

But when he opened it up, he found someone had highlighted yes on the recall and Schwarzenegger for governor. He returned it, got another and found the same marks in that one in pen.

After several more tries, he found the same marks in at least half a dozen sample ballots poll workers provided, he said.

I am practically weeping for our republic. It’s not that my guy lost -- I basically knew that he would. What I can’t believe is the almost total disregard the rest of the electorate has for voting based on anything like meaningful information on a candidate. Exit polling revealed that people:
  • disliked Davis more than they favored Schwarzenegger
  • voted for Schwarzenegger even though he had not provided the details of his plans for CA
  • from minority groups, esp. latinos, voted for Schwarzenegger
I have said it before and I’ll say it again: I am surrounded by idiots! The Davis thing could easily have been solved with the next election. I fail to see any reason to vote for a blank slate -- in fact, such blank slate status would be my reason not to vote for a person. Latinos, if they had to vote based on ethnic considerations, should have preferred Bustamante or Camejo. BTW, I am latino so I am going to take the PC liberty of impuning my own people liberally if I feel like it!

http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/recall/story/7560279p-8501609c.html

“A lot of young people voted for Arnold thinking it was a rebellion, that they are voting against the establishment, not realizing that he is part of the establishment,” Camejo said.

The whole thing has just been utterly shameful no matter how one turns it. CA is the laughingstock of the union. Collectively, we have revealed ourselves to be political morons.

-- Hop-Frog