 Off-Topic / Debate / 22315
Re: This Californian Has Voted. Have You?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 14:15:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello wrote:
Recall - Oh heck YES
Replace with - The govenator

Prop 53 - Yes
Prop 54 - Yes

as I type this post Davis is conceding this election, score one for the good
guys! and shame on you LA Times, your slime campaign failed.

Arnold admits to some of the charges and is a "good" guy and is "slimed"?  How
can he be slimed if he issues an apology, and a weak, vague one at that?  Sounds
more like it's the Times that is being slimed.

I just wanted to post on prop 54, since C. Everet Koop lied about it. As a
person of mixed race this thing always confused me. Imagine this your father is
black, and your mother is white. At 6 years old you are handed a form and asked
to check one box for your nationality. What do you check? Teachers advise kids
to check the box to which they most closely associate with. What the heck does
that mean? I like my Dad better so today I am black, my Mom is nicer so today I
am white. Really confusing. As for Koop, he claimed that it would negatively
effect medical research, well if he had taken a minute to read the bill he would
have seen that it excludes medical research from this new law. (Actually I think
he did read it, and intentionally mislead people).

Scott C.

This really has nothing to do with the Proposition - there is nothing stopping
the state from doing exactly what the National Census now does, and allow
"multi-racial" as an answer.  Having said that, I find this 20th Century
attitude (ahhhh, someone had to use that phrase finally) by the California
schools annoying to no end (for non-Californians, what Scott says above about
the actual practices is what I have experienced).  I've instructed my son to
check more than one box despite the instructions, especially since he does not
identify with one side more than the other.

-->Bruce<--