 Off-Topic / Debate / 22318
Re: This Californian Has Voted. Have You?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 17:09:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Adrian Egli wrote:

Out of curiosity, what led you to conclude that Arnold was the best qualified
candidate to head the world's fifth-largest economy?

Instinct.  It's worked many times for me before.

Ok, before you hit me with a "Get real!" remark I was just plain sick of the
usual politicians.  I just wanted to try someone else.

I had a pain in my chest, and I was sick of all the usual doctors telling me
that it was lung cancer, so I went with my instinct and consulted a wealthy
actor rather than someone with experience in treating my ailment.  I just wanted
to try someone else.  Does that seem like a sensible course of a

I'll just take that as another sacarasm.

I don't believe that you "*just* wanted to try someone else," because if that
were the case then you would have voted yes on the recall and picked Davis'
successor at random.  Why didn't you pick Larry Flynt or Angelyne, for example?
They certainly qualify as "someone else" relative to the spectrum of "usual
politicians."  Obviously something about Arnold appealed to on a level different
from what the other candidates had to offer.  I'm asking what you think was the
source of that appeal.

Again, I'm going to note Hardball on MSNBC.  Arnorld has something no one else
up there showed- charasima!  If there is one thing I have seen all so often in
this life (I was one of those teens who read his dad's US News & World Report
magazine) and that is if a politician shows the public that he has a very strong
charasima then people are likely to vote for him.  Look at Reagan.  If he's not
an example of this then you'd better tell us all why.

Was this a private consultation between you and the ballot-checker?  What formal
documentation do you have that the ballot-checker actually filed your ballot
correctly for tallying?  That is, if you were, say, of some particular race, or
rich or poor, or gay or straight, or a man or a woman, what formal guarantee do
you have that the ballot-checker didn't simply throw your ballot in the shredder
based on some subtle poll screening technique?  You probably think I'm being
facetious, but I'm not.  Worse election violations have occurred in the very
recent past, so the examples I propose are hardly vapid speculation.

For that matter, if you were "shown the blank side," how the heck do you even
know that it was your ballot?

     Dave!

Call it what you like.  If you REALLY want to mess with election violations then
become a Mexican citizen and vote in a Mexican election.  Don't let my last name
fool you- my mom was one!(She's US now.)  But I still have a lot of relatives
down there  who have told me many stories of the crap they've seen.

Adr.