 Off-Topic / Debate / 22324
Re: This Californian Has Voted. Have You?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 00:25:39 GMT

   You’ve misinterpreted my intent, so I’ll restate it:

I find your choice “to try someone else” to be insufficient cause for an informed citizen to cast a ballot for one canditate in preference to another. Would you care to elaborate on your reasons for choosing an absolute unknown in preference to one of the other candidates?

“Absolute unknown” can take on a lot of possibilities. If you mean unknown to the public in general then Arnold not an “absolute unknown”.

I have my sample ballot in front of me right now and am going down the list to see which names I immediate recognize.(Think of it as going through LEGO foder looking for a part and it just suddenly pops up for a split second.) So here goes: #36 Mary Cook (saw her on Com Central’s “debate”), #37 Gary Coleman(again, Com Central, TV show from the ‘80’s), #56 “Ed” Kennedy (not the Mass. one or the media would have really hyped it.), #59 Peter Ueberroth (1984 Olympics games), #67 Robert Dole (not the Bob Dole who ran for pres., no media hype), #75 Larry Flynt (Mr. Porno), #99 Nathan Whitecloud Walton (also on Com Central), #112 Michael Jackson (not the self proclaimed “King of Pop”, again no media hype), #126 Tom McClintock, #161 Arianna Huffington, #171 Cruz Bustamante, and #177 Arnold.

So there were 12 names I immediately recognized of the 169 flipping though the pages. That’s 157 names I have never seen or heard of before or if I have they just passed by me. Of those 12, three have the same name as a known public figure but were not that particular figure because the media would have hyped that person if it was. (Michael “can-never-get-enough-plastic-surgery-and-be-the-self-proclaim-king-of-pop” Jackson for govenor? OK, so he could have but didn’t.) and one is a slut lover whose works I don’t care for.

So now we are down to eight, four of whom were on a Com Central “debate” program. But the fact they were on a Com Central program gave me the idea they weren’t serious but just wanted to say “I ran for govenor of California.” and get their names in a California history book to show to friends and family.

We are now down to the final four. Now, I will come out and say I would have voted for Arianna Huffington because I’ve read her articles in newspapers and like her thoughts but then she drops out. Three left- Arnold, Cruz, and Tom, the “ACT”. I didn’t much care for Tom’s ideas. I didn’t care for Cruz, period. Arnold brought up some ideas I liked. Yes, he is a newbie to this but of those three on my list my gut said “Go for Arnold”; I decided to take a chance with him.

   So “charisma” is the primary qualifying characteristic, in your opinion? Based on that criterion, I suppose that you would glowingly endorse Bill Clinton over any other president from the past few decades, because Clinton was clearly more charismatic than any other contender.

It is not the “primary qualifying characteristic” but it is an element in the process of gaining the public’s attention. Charasima is only as one sees it.

Billy- hey, you’re the one using the words “glowingly endorse” not me.

I’m in my 30’s and have only participated directly in this political process for a little over a decade; I have only voted in three presidential elections. Now, maybe when I hit the six mark then I can look back and say Pres. “So-n-so” was the most charasmatic or the most “whatever”.

I am not an historian or well known writter or political columnist. It will be those who will or will not say such words and will be the source future generations are going to look to for opinions of Billy or any other president.

   But perhaps “charisma” is what caught Arnold’s eye about a certain public speaker from the 30’s?

If you’re talking that Hitler crap just drop it. My own view is those who brought up this are thinking they can pull off another David Duke incident. It won’t work. I sure haven’t seen neo-nazi videos or photos with Arnold.

Adr.