 Off-Topic / Debate / 22316
Re: This Californian Has Voted. Have You?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 16:06:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   This strikes me as weird. It’s as if one is able to physically hedge their vote. If one votes for “no” recall, how is it that one is able to cast a hypothetical vote?

What does voting “no” have to do with it? What are you trying to say - only those who vote “yes” get to vote for the replacement, or do you really like to see another $40 million spent on a second election to resolve the recall if it is a “yes”? Either option makes utterly no sense to me. There is no vote for governor until the current one is actually recalled, so no matter if you vote yes or no, your vote for a new governor is hypothetical.

I am all in favor of saving the $$$. It makes a little more sense to say “yes, recall him, and replace him with X”, than to say “no, do not recall him, but in the event he gets recalled, replace him with X”. Maybe it is because it appears that if you vote “no”, it is as if you are voting for 2 different people, because a “no” vote is in essence a vote for Davis. I dunno. It’s just a little weird, and I’d bet some enterprising lawyers might think so as well (but not my LEGO collection this time;-)

(snip blockbuster plot)

With wonder and amazement on his face, Arnold shouts in terror, “No! Not Willie Brown!” Willie says, “Y’all started this recall nonsense to get me out as Speaker of the legislature, now I’m finishing it!” He pushes Arnold over the brink. A wailing cry drifts up, “Precioussssssssssssssss! Oh, and I’ll be ba...” Splat! Roll credits.

It could only happen in Hollywood! :-)

I don’t know what you do for a living, -->Bruce<--, but if it’s not screen writing, you’ve missed your calling! :-)

JOHN