 Off-Topic / Debate / 21679
Re: With Saddam's sons dead, now we just need to bag dad (Baghdad get it?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:42:52 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   Yes, but it was somebody else’s mess!

True enough, until it starting affecting us. SH was an unstable powderkeg, and who knows how much more havoc he would wreaked on the citizens of Iraq and the US and the world for that matter. I firmly believe that he would have become our problem in a serious way eventually. Being a little proactive when it comes to issues of such magnitude is a Good Thing? IMO. The stakes are just too high to sit around and merely react anymore. 9-11 taught us that.

Saddam wasn’t particularly unstable. His actions are fairly predictable, in fact. I suppose any dictatorship is inherently unstable, but that is hardly a valid excuse in and of itself (see: all the other dictatorships that the U.S. has no problem dealing with). He might become a problem to his neighbors - any of them clamoring for help due to imminent invasion? No. He might become a problem to the U.S. directly: any remaining weapons of mass destruction? Apparently not. Was he trying to get fissionable material? Apparently not. Cooperating with Al Qaeda? Apparently not. So....why was he our problem?

The rest of the world has reached the point that they will not give blanket permission to stomp on anyone we deem a threat just because of 9/11. Those that are left will demand darn good proof, and now Dubya just used that up by lieing.

-->Bruce<--