 Off-Topic / Debate / 21677
Re: With Saddam's sons dead, now we just need to bag dad (Baghdad get it?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:47:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   Not to sound pithy or anything much like that, but it’s only the idiots and morons that don’t learn from history--violence begets violence.

Not pithy; how about “trite”? What lessons did you learn from WWII, Dave? (Dirty little secret Dave: war is sometimes GOOD).

The Sons of Saddam seem to have forgotten that trite statement. Or perhaps, “He who lives be the sword, dies by the sword.” So, yes, it’s trite, but it also kinda backfires against David since it can also be used to explain why it happened.

I don’t know if I’d call any war “good”. Necessary, perhaps. The best choice in a sea of bad options. War brutalizes even the victors, even when they had the best of intentions.

Yeah, I was called in on that characterization as well by Dave! What I meant basically was that sometimes violence can beget peace. How about it is good to resist against evil, even if that means going to war. But I think we are of the same mind here.

   “Nice mess you’ve created.”

What would you have called the situation previously with the brutal SH in power? It was a mess to begin with.

Yes, but it was somebody else’s mess!

True enough, until it starting affecting us. SH was an unstable powderkeg, and who knows how much more havoc he would wreaked on the citizens of Iraq and the US and the world for that matter. I firmly believe that he would have become our problem in a serious way eventually. Being a little proactive when it comes to issues of such magnitude is a Good Thing? IMO. The stakes are just too high to sit around and merely react anymore. 9-11 taught us that.

JOHN