 Off-Topic / Debate / 21646
Re: With Saddam's sons dead, now we just need to bag dad (Baghdad get it?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:49:21 GMT

I’m uncomfortable with the idea of assassination as a worthy military or national goal, and I much would have preferred capture and trial. If killing them was the only way, then fine. But if there were options that were not pursued, then no.

The point being that we are quickly slipping into wild west style justice instead of what has been euphemistically been referred to as the “rule of law.” I don’t like the idea of the U.S. acting as the peace-keeper (i.e. renegade wild west sheriff) in the world -- it sends a very dangerous message to everyone else.

If this is what we intended to do, then it should have been a black ops thing for both OBL and Saddam, respectively. I don’t like the idea of black ops either, but let’s not pretend that it doesn’t exist when it pretty obviously does. But what good is it when it can’t help us in these far more important situations?

-- Hop-Frog