 Off-Topic / Debate / 21678
Re: With Saddam's sons dead, now we just need to bag dad (Baghdad get it?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:07:04 GMT

If you’re willing to excuse Cheney’s business practices as “business not politics,” and if you’re therefore willing to overlook those practices from subsequent evaluations of his character or fitness-for-office, then surely you must likewise be willing to overlook the personal relationships of Bill Clinton as “personal, not politics.” Am I correct in this assessment?

Let me say this, Dave! I won’t defend big business. I am not a fan of “big business”, nor am I a fan of big government. “Big” in these areas is bad IMO, inevitabley leading to corruption and abuse of power. I don’t know any specifics about Cheney, but on the surface I would be skeptical, given his previous status.

Nor am I a fan of the super-wealthy in general. I don’t know how one can morally be super wealthy and not be a philanthropist. But even if I find super-wealthy selfish people morally reprehensible, I still don’t favor taking their wealth by force by the government...

As for Clinton, I found his behavior morally reprehensible as well. What I most objected to in his sex scandal was the denegration of the Executive Office while he occupied it. His personal life is his business, but when it spilled out into the public it was just embarrassing.

So, if you want to say: Cheney = ethically questionable businessman = Clinton = morally questionable politician. Fine.

JOHN