 Off-Topic / Debate / 20207
Re: Hotel Palestine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 16:15:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/04/08/sprj.irq.hotel/index.html

Quote:

"U.S. military officials said U.S. forces fired on the Palestine Hotel in
response to sniper fire from various floors. It is not clear if the
explosion was the result of the U.S. response."

Comments to this:

a) the hotel was across the river from the US forces, which happened to be
*tanks* - those snipers must have had powerful guns, to harm those crews!

Tanks are not necessarily buttoned up (hatches closed with the crew inside).

This one was. See it in www.euronews.net (choose language first; by the time
I'm writing this, it's the second video on the main stories page - requires
real player to be seen).
The story is here:
http://www.euronews.net/create_html.php?page=detail_info&lng=1&option=1,info

Alas, it is no longer there on the page, and searching for it isn't an
option with the exceedingly long lag delays.  Neither the story nor the
video.  The video would only be conclusive if it showed the whole incident
from start to finish, not just the moment of firing.

Absurd. And grotesque.

Dunno.  Could be, then again, I don't see enough information to say "absurd"
or "grotesque".  Yet.  I have a hard time getting worked up over things like
this when first reported.  Conflicting reports come out, disinformation,
misinformation.  The story mutates and then it seems like wasted emotion.

Reports are one thing; they can cause confusion. Today for instance, I woke
up with Saddam  friends dead, and by bedtime they're missing (again). The
images of the hotel bombing are explicit enough, though.

Regarding reports: see what I mean?  Regarding images, can't say since I
can't get at 'em, but you have to be wary of images, too.  There's a video
of Tien An Men Square where a soldier sprays the crowd with bullets, he runs
out of ammo (or the gun jams) and the crowd literally rips him to pieces.
The Chinese government edited out the spraying of bullets and showed it as
evidence that the crowd was violent.

I'm not saying that there is any kind of malacious editing in this instance,
but the state of the tank at the moment of firing and the state of the tank
at the time the sniper started firing may be two different things.  Does the
video show the *entire* sequence?  If the tank was buttoned up the entire
time, then where to fire was probably relayed from outside of the tank.

Whomever identified that hotel as a target, that person clearly has no
capability to foresee the consequences of his actions. Wouldn't any army be
better off expurged of such incompetents?

Yes.  Idiocy and high-explosives are a dangerous mix.  But see below.

"Support the troops"... yeah, right. You might start to do that providing
them with some good sense!

Have good sense.  A person that voluntarily joined the military.  These are
mutually exclusive terms.  :-)

I appreciate your irony; under peaceful circumstances, I'd laugh. Right now
that has costed lives. Sorry mate, today I'm as sad as a man can be :-(

War is hell.  :-(

-->Bruce<--