 Off-Topic / Debate / 20191
Re: Hotel Palestine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 20:18:43 GMT

Pedro Silva wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/04/08/sprj.irq.hotel/index.html

Quote:

"U.S. military officials said U.S. forces fired on the Palestine Hotel in
response to sniper fire from various floors. It is not clear if the
explosion was the result of the U.S. response."

Comments to this:

a) the hotel was across the river from the US forces, which happened to be
*tanks* - those snipers must have had powerful guns, to harm those crews!
b) "unclear", my @$$. European network EuroNews has shown images of a M1A1
tank firing roughly towards the camera, and one second later a big shake on
the hotel. Coincidence?
c) if warning was given to journalists when the Ministry of (dis)Information
was to be hit, how come none was issued now that the journalist were "at base"?

Absurd. And grotesque.

Whomever identified that hotel as a target, that person clearly has no
capability to foresee the consequences of his actions. Wouldn't any army be
better off expurged of such incompetents?
"Support the troops"... yeah, right. You might start to do that providing
them with some good sense!

The leadership of the army knew that the hotel was full
of journalists,  and avoided  making it an explicit target.

However I don't think that every front line soldier is given
a map of every building and told which to shoot and which not to.

They are trained to react according to rules, one of which goes
like this:

If you are fired upon, you are free to return fire.

There's no qualifiers in there. It doesn't say check for journalists
and only shoot back if no one is in the way.

I don't think it's reasonable to ask someone who is being fired
at (yes they may be in a tank, but most of the time the tank
commander and driver's heads are out of the tank) to check a
map, try to figure out which building is which, and only then
return fire.

Sure in the relaxed quiet atmosphere of the planning room
targets are given some thought, and targets like this would
be avoided. On the front lines in the heat of a battle while
taking incoming fire, the soldiers are trained not to think.

They are practically 'programmed' to immediately fall back
on their training without thinking. That is what saves their
lives.

The journalists knew when they decided to stay in Baghdad that
they were choosing to stay in a *war zone*. They weren't
tricked or duped or forced to stay. Bad things happen to
people ion war zones.

I feel bad for the people killed and injured (and their
families and friends) through no fault of their own. But
I also don't see anyway to blame this on the front-line
soldier.

-Kyle

--
                                    _