 Off-Topic / Debate / 20223
Re: Hotel Palestine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 01:38:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

I regret to hear it's no longer there. If I find this video on the web,
would you care for me to send it?

Post it here, but I believe that I have seen the video on CNN - they were
showing it, but running on about something else.  Tank shoots building.
Pretty straightforward and undeniable.

The footage showed some 5 secs of the tank turret taking aim, then shooting,
then the camera shook. If the tank and the target had been in different
images, then it would be a lot more suspicious.

(strategic snipping of my own comments to string this together for a single
answer)

The video shows two tanks, one aiming forward (towards the MoInformation?),
and the other one aiming (and shooting) the hotel. There is sound in the
pics; no rifle bullets are heard, but the tank shot is heard a little after
the explosion in the hotel.
There was no sniper; the tank crew may *thought to have seen one*, but if
noone else much nearer saw anything...
The ground was hit near the tanks, yes, by what appeared to be rifle fire;
from the direction of the dust that was lifted from the ground, I suppose
the shot came from the front of the tank, and not the side at where the
turret was aimed. In appearance, the other tank was "at work", while this
one was shooting at the wrong side.

I had a chance to get home and pull out today's Los Angeles Times, which
covers the incident on page 3 of the front part (for those of you reading
along at home).  The tanks had come under fire, including mortar fire.  It
is not directly explained in the article, but mortars are a high angle,
indirect fire weapon.  In a case like this, they would use spotters.  Sure
enough, the tank commander received a report that there were people on the
roof of a nearby building with binoculars.  They were under fire by weapons
requiring a spotter and guys with binoculars were observing them.  There
were not firing at suspected snipers, but at what they believed were
artillery spotters.  There was nothing marking the building as a site that
was housing neutrals, and the crew had no knowledge of the press being
there.  Alas, it is pretty much incumbent upon neutrals willfully in an area
that they were warned about being an extremely dangerous war zone to stay
clear, and the crew reacted within their guidelines (all as currently
presented - as I said, more information comes out, stories change).  One of
those tragic accidents of war (war sucks).

The story also confirmed something I suspected given your reaction to it: My
sympathies on the loss of your countryman killed in the incident.  Reporters
are usually not given enough credit for going into dangerous situations in
quest of the truth.  One thing that we must do, as the interpreters of the
images we see, is do just that: interpret what we see.  A five-second clip
simply does not tell the story - it only confirms that the tank, indeed, did
really shoot at the hotel.

-->Bruce<--