 Off-Topic / Debate / 1952
Re: How to decide what art is worth (was Re: Extropianism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:52:02 GMT

Jesse Long wrote:

Here's the million dollar qustion: how can the general public be competent
enough to be an adequate judge of movie quality

Because it's an opinion, and thus subject to polling (in the form of box
office receipts), rather than proving or disproving

(or of political
decision-making)

Ditto, although I'd say right now the system is rigged so the GP doesn't
get a fair chance to say what they really want?

but not of whether or not there is a God?

Because this is factual rather than opinion. If there is a god, no
matter how many people say there isn't one, she will still exist.
However, it seems it's an unverifiable fact since all you christians
aren't willing to posit any experiments to prove it and you just CAN'T
prove the negative, so me and the rest of the atheists can never
disprove her existence, merely point out why it is extremely improbable.

(however I'm pretty satisfied with the proof that god is not
"necessary", not that I'm going to sketch it out for you given how
poorly my last sketch went)...

What am I missing here, this seems pretty obvious! All based on the
nature of facts vs. opinions. Did I just get suckered into something?
Tune in tomorrow for the next thrilling episode...

lugnet.