 Off-Topic / Debate / 1742
1741  |  1743
Subject:
How to decide what art is worth (was Re: Extropianism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 22:38:08 GMT

Jesse Long wrote:

I'm saying that the masses prompted the movie makers in these two cases to
dumb down their movies and lower the quality because they didn't like the
endings.

I'll grant that they may well have changed the endings. But what of it?
Who is to say that the ending they chose is "lower quality"? How do you
define quality in this context?

George Lucas is free to choose to organize his films however he chooses,
and if he decides to make an ending that will be popular with many, why
is that "wrong"? If you don't like the ending and would have preferred a
different one, don't go. But stop being elitist by insisting that a sad
ending is somehow "better" than a happy one.

We're talking about entertainment here, after all, not the NEA, which
loots from the taxpayer to fund what it feels "proper" art should be.
Pah. Talk about elitist! We're not fit to judge what proper art is, but
we have to pay for it anyway.

Art that cannot find a buyer is valueless, **by definition**, because
the value of a thing is exactly what a willing buyer will give up to
possess it. If no one wants it, it has no value.
lugnet.