 Off-Topic / Debate / 1743
Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 23:56:23 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

My father-in-law the preacher would probably have a heart attack to
hear me say it, but in a lot of ways I find the concept of Satan as he
is painted in Christian mythology much harder to accept than most of
the happier stuff.

You might want to read To Reign in Hell, by Steven Brust, which paints
a far more interesting picture.  Brust is quoted on the jacket:

  "From all of my readings on the revolt of the angels, two things
   are clear:  God is omnipotent, and Satan is not a fool.  There
   seems to be a contradiction here."

The problem with the Bible is that it's propaganda, history as written
by the winners, and therefore ultimately unreliable.  Brust tries to
reconstruct a plausible chain of events leading up to the fall of Satan,
inventing comprehensible motivations for all the major players.  Lots of
grey.  Makes an interesting cosmology.  Must be read with an open mind.

Ordinarily I'm bored to tears by Bible Stories, but this is one of my
favorite books.

--
Steve Jacquot
sj5w@virginia.edu