 Off-Topic / Debate / 1753
Re: Extropianism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 10:58:55 GMT

John Neal wrote in message <37BF0506.AE7F8075@uswest.net>...
They compromised their artistic integrity for $$$.  I think *they* would
perceive themselves as "artists", and not merely capitalists.  An artist
works to express him/herself, not to make money (starving artist idea). • The
more an artist produces what the people want, the more they are selling out
and the more pablum they produce.  They should get rich *because* people • like
their art, not make art people like *to* get rich.  Big difference.

-John

   I guess there is an art in getting rich, too.  George Lucas seems to have
it down pat.  If the guy wants to make money (most people in Hollywood (or
anywhere else) do) then he makes his art appeal to the highest number. Duh.
Its still art, just smart art.
--
   Have fun!
   John
Jesse Long wrote:

Can you clarify your thesis, please? Are you saying that these
filmmakers should not have ended their films they way they wanted to,
but instead the way you think they should have ended?  Why? If not, • what
are you saying?

I'm saying that the masses prompted the movie makers in these two cases • to
dumb down their movies and lower the quality because they didn't like the
endings.

Jesse