 Off-Topic / Debate / 1704
Re: Extropianism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:38:36 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message
news:37B9F885.8F93F075@voyager.net...
But I thought we were making sweeping generalizations, so I was
preparing to tout the market as a better judge of quality than critics
or film students... :-)

What a very Libertarian statement.  It exudes great faith in the masses.  I
can't say I'd agree, given the popularity of, well, just about every fad
ever to come out.  That, and in this capitalistic society everything you'll
ever want is determined in advance by the corporations and every reaction
you have to the nightly news is already determined by the news stations.
We're told what's good and what's bad, what we need and what we don't, and
for the most part we buy it.

Americans love happy endings, for example.  There are a lot of foreign
movies (I'm only familiar with the Chinese ones) that have a lot of sad
endings and are outstanding films, but they'd never make it over here.  We
prefer the standard boy meets girl movies, and movie where the hero gets the
snot beat out of him at the end but still has the energy to finally defeat
the bad guy and walk off without a limp.  We like tear-jerkers with standard
sappy lead-ins that you can see coming for miles.

Did you know that Fatal Attraction originally had a different ending?  The
one the American public got was the happy ending.  The other woman goes
crazy for the guy and tries to kill him, but the wife shoots her first and
all is well, the marriage is saved, they get the kid a new rabbit, whatever.
Classic American movie ending.  (not necessarily that high-quality)  Want to
guess how it originally ended?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Okay: the other woman has the wife trapped in the bathroom while the husband
is down making tea or something.  Instead of attacking the wife, the other
woman kills herself instead.  The movie ends with the couple trying to cope
with the guilt of what they've gotten themselves into.  Much more realistic,
much more interesting, much better quality if you ask me.  More depth of
emotion explored, at least.

Want another?  How did the original Return of the Jedi end?  In the end we
saw Luke escape the Death Star, Han and Leia blow up the shield generator
with no loss of (intelligent) alliance life, and Lando and the fighters go
into the Death Star II and blow it up, just barely escaping the flames.
Everyone lived How did it end the first time?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
In the original ending, Lando never made it out.  The Millennium Falcon gets
engulfed in the flames and blows up (note Han's concern before the battle
that he feels like he's never going to see her again).  The test audience
was so stunned that they went in and changed it.

I don't trust the masses to be a good judge of anything.  Too much mob
mentality.  Too many sheep and lemmings.

Just my two cents.

Jesse