 Off-Topic / Debate / 1703
Re: POV-RAY orange color
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:03:15 GMT

Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote in message
news:slrn7rmim9.4dt.cjc@VADER.NS.UTK.EDU...
"I have confidence in the Lord. He'll put me in whatever
situation He wants me in, so any success or glory I have is
going to Him."  Tim Salmon

Interesting quote.

If the Lord puts me in whatever situations he wants, so he'll receive
the praise/glory/worship/whatever when things turn out well, what does
that say about the situations I end up in from time to time when all
Hell (no pun intended) breaks loose?

Ideally the worst times are the times that gloify Him the most, as it gives
you a chance to display your faith in Him aven though life sucks (think
Job).  Who wouldn't have faith if everything was going well?  Your question
oftens gets into a long and ultimately unsolvable debate as to just how much
God intervenes in our lives on a daily basis.  Some say a lot, some say a
little.  I try to keep a middle ground and consider that God has ideal plans
for a person, but if you refuse He'll do the best with what's there.  In
other words, the crap I'm in is my fault most of the time.

Are those situations the Lord _didn't_ put me in, in the sense that he
only backs winning situations?

Depends what your definition of winning is.  If it's "being healthy and
happy and have everything I want," then no.  Although some denominations
like to link righteousness with wealth, and immorality with sin.  If winning
is "gaining the most recognition of God's love in a given situation," then
maybe so.  The ultimate goal is not material wealth or health, but spiritual
maturity, a close walk with God, and a strong witness that brings others to
Christ.  Often the situations that "win" you the most are not pleasant.

Are those situations I put myself into because I'm an imperfect being?

I hate those situations.

If the Lord gets the praise and glory when things go right, should he
also get the opposite when things go horribly wrong?

No, I think he should get more of the same.  I don't blame God for the
things that happen in life--that's just life.  I think it's more important
that no matter what happens, no matter how bad, God is still there for us
and will forgive and accept us if we ask.  A lot of humans just back out and
never come back when hard times hit, leaving us to deal with our problems
alone.  But He's always there.

Makes me think of how uncomfortable it makes me to see whole families
with a loved one in mortal danger (like my wife's mother who is still
going through chemotherapy to try to battle a very aggressive cancer)
pray to god, saying over and over things like, "it's in your hands",
"if it be your will", "please protect him/her".

Not much else you can do.  It's not any more or less productive than doing
nothing (except as an exercise in faith).  There's nothing wrong with
expressing your desires and concerns to God.  He knows we have wants and
needs.

Families that are lucky enough to have their prayers answered, lucky
enough to see their loved ones pull through, certainly come through
the experience (as far as I've seen) with a stronger faith, a great
deal of praise for the Lord.

What about those families who lose the loved one?  I wonder if any of
them end up blaming the Lord?

Some of them do, because life is hard and losing a loved one hurts.  You can
rationalize that you'll see them again and that their pain is over, but
they're still gone for the rest of your life, and that hurts.  Some people
blame God.  It's a natural reaction (even King David did sometimes).  But in
the end it shows a lack of faith more than anything.  People who stay mad at
God for things weren't really praying "Thy will be done" but "May Thy will
conform to our desires."

I had a friend who lost her mother to cancer and only kept God around so she
could have someone to blame.  It happens.

All from where I stand, of course.  YMMV.

Jesse