 Off-Topic / Debate / 1951
Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:07:00 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

Let's see, what types of people do we have in prisons, for the most
part?  Murderers, rapists, child molesters, thieves, etc.

Maybe in other countries. But in the US, "for the most part" what we
have is drug offenders. There are more people in prison for drug
offenses than there are for crimes with victims.

And THAT:
- is one of the reasons we have the highest per capita rate of
incarceration anywhere in the world....
- is a HUGE reason in favor of jury nullification. Drug laws are evil
and need to be stricken down every chance we get.

Note that although I'm sniping at Mike, it's to make a point about how
bad things are with drug laws. I generally agree with the thesis, I'd
say that some thirteen year old who offs a mommy during the course of a
carjacking is pretty much out of second chances at that point.

Note also that Simon lives in the UK, so probably does not get the same
three networks we do and hasn't seen the segment you refer to, Mike.

Finally, it seems that I'm arguing with most of my factorees at the same
time. The fact that I think Simon is a bit wet (or Richard ,or Jasper)
does NOT mean that Simon isn't a reliable trading partner or a nice
guy... just confused. :-)

(I just got back from an all day trip to Cedar Point, and I have a
bazillion things to do instead of .debate-ing but I just could not
resist putting my oar in on this)
lugnet.