 Off-Topic / Debate / 1936
Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:55:33 GMT

Simon Robinson <simon@simonrobinson.com> wrote:
If the choices are let the scum sit in a prison watching tv and
reading books, maybe even taking courses and such, or frying them, I
say fry 'em.

'let the scum sit in a prison...' ???
Not judgemental about other people at all are we!

Yes, I am.  Maybe you think it's a fault to judge other people by
their actions.  I don't.

Let's see, what types of people do we have in prisons, for the most
part?  Murderers, rapists, child molesters, thieves, etc.

Yep, scum.  Maybe you think highly of the worthless non-human people
who commit murders and other crimes.  I don't.

The people - and as Larry pointed out there are doubtless many -
who didn't commit any
crime but ended up in prison anyway because a jury incorrectly thought
they had  - are they scum as well?

I'm not sure Larry ever suggested that _many_ people have been wrongly
convicted.  As for the truly innocent, no, they are not scum, unless
of course they're innocent only of the crimes of which they were
convicted and guilty of others.

In the end, my opinion of convicted criminals doesn't matter much to
them, to the system, or to most other people.

Don't get me wrong - there are a lot of hardened criminals and generally
pretty nasty people around. And unlike Larry and Richard I'd say I can see
a reason for having the death penalty as long as it's only used in
exceptional cases. There's also a lot of people - especially young people -
who make a few mistakes, mix with the wrong crowd, etc. but who are
otherwise just normal human beings. By all means punish them in order
to provide a deterrent to others tempted to follow the same path. Make sure

Sorry, murder and other similar crimes aren't "mistakes".  The only
murders that are mistakes are the accidental ones.  Don't even try to
suggest that some loser thirteen year old who starts running with a
gang, steals cars, and then works up to killing someone can be
classified as an "otherwise normal" person.

they do make it up to their victims.  But just giving them a blanket label
of 'scum' isn't particularly helpful.

Helpful?  Who says we should help people who commit capital offenses?
Who gives a flying rat's behind about them?  Either put them to death
or put them to hard labor.  Since the latter probably won't happen in
our little feel-good "let's try to be helpful" and reform those poor
people who just made mistakes society, I say fry 'em.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/   (still in Beta)