 Off-Topic / Debate / 1934
Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:26:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Stanley writes:
I'm agin em because of the error factor, and because I want the
criminals working their fingers off the rest of their days paying
restitution to the victims.

I'd go for that in Libertopia.  In reality, though, prisoners can't
really be "forced" to work, can they?  Or is that a state by state,
thing?

If the choices are let the scum sit in a prison watching tv and
reading books, maybe even taking courses and such, or frying them, I
say fry 'em.

'let the scum sit in a prison...' ???
Not judgemental about other people at all are we!

The people - and as Larry pointed out there are doubtless many -
who didn't commit any
crime but ended up in prison anyway because a jury incorrectly thought
they had  - are they scum as well?

Don't get me wrong - there are a lot of hardened criminals and generally
pretty nasty people around. And unlike Larry and Richard I'd say I can see
a reason for having the death penalty as long as it's only used in
exceptional cases. There's also a lot of people - especially young people -
who make a few mistakes, mix with the wrong crowd, etc. but who are
otherwise just normal human beings. By all means punish them in order
to provide a deterrent to others tempted to follow the same path. Make sure
they do make it up to their victims.  But just giving them a blanket label
of 'scum' isn't particularly helpful.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com