 Off-Topic / Debate / 1985
Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 01:16:19 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
Mike Stanley wrote:

Let's see, what types of people do we have in prisons, for the most
part?  Murderers, rapists, child molesters, thieves, etc.

Maybe in other countries. But in the US, "for the most part" what we
have is drug offenders. There are more people in prison for drug
offenses than there are for crimes with victims.

Yeah, I know.  I think I specifically mentioned wasting tons of money
on it in another post.

Dunno if you and I would differ on the whole drug crimes thing or not.
Drug users who don't steal, etc, don't bug me much at all.  The pot
smokers can be perfectly normal people otherwise in my experience.
The ones who do the hard drugs regularly are just examples of
evolution at work, imo.  The experimenters, and most people I know
fall into that category, don't bother me at all.

Drug dealers, at least the REAL dealers, not the random loser who just
happened to have a tiny bit more than some stupid law says he should
have, aren't ok in my book, but I have a feeling that a big part of
the reason they're so bad/dangerous/deadly (some of them, anyway) is
that the illegality of their product has forced them to be that way.

Not that they didn't have choices along the way, and not that they
shouldn't be held accountable for what they do.  And those who give
drugs to kids, imo, ought to be shot on the spot.  But that's just my
weird thinking at work.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/   (still in Beta)