 Off-Topic / Debate / 18638
Re: stopping topics vs. dealing with troublemakers and nonconstructive participants
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:37:01 GMT

Indeed, some were troll-ish – the rest were plain trolls. ;)

How so?

It was a jest. But I do view that post as a troll. The post is 1000+ word
attack on me, and a request that all ignore me. But check the last 2 lines:
==+==
I admit a bit of cheating on ignoring him. if someone else responds, I have
been known to respond to the responder. I probably should stop that.
==+==

After all that fuss and effort, he can’t even bring himself to commit to it! A
case of : “Do as I say, not as I do!”

I have to admit (assuming we're talking about the mailing list unsubsciption
dealy?) that I expected a bit more regret from Larry concerning his actions
on that one. But I don't think it was a spoof by any means. He never claimed
to be you (or such is my understanding), he just unsubscribed you.

That is certainly not my understanding. ;)

Oh? What is your understanding?

He had to fill the e-form in as if he were I. He did so twice. The top of the
form said  something like "Fill **your** details in to unsubscribe"

BTW: Do you remember when you were temporarily banned for identity spoofing?

I did what I did in good faith and in plain view to demonstrate how weak the
security on the site was back then.

No you didn't. The topic was already discussed and out it the open. People
knew exactly what was being referenced, which is why you were banned. Your
demonstration of a point that was already clear was unnecessary.

That is not how I remember events. I can assure you I did what I did in good
faith and in plain view.

Whereas, I think Larry impersonated me as he was being plain irrational.

Disagree that it was an impersonation (explain?),

See above.

but agree that it was
probably done out of more of an emotional reaction than your impersonation.
Yours (it seemed to me) was done out of a sense of pride-flaunting without
respect for the severity or necessity of the action. I suppose ultimately
that was an emotional reaction, but less so than Larry's.

I admit I did it without realising how seriously it would be viewed.

Did he not leave in shame for a couple of weeks afterwrds?

Did he? I didn't recall that. If so, perhaps I'm a little more pleased with
Larry-- I remember calling him on his actions more or less expecting him to
admit his mistake, yet he seemed rather unrepentful at the time. If he was
convinced thereafter to further regret his actions, he gets some bonus
points I previously had deducted for his score card.

My recollection of events was not 100%, but below is some text from the post I
remembered. He left due the general indignation created – not in shame of his
actions. I think after that he went quiet for a few days/weeks.

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=9772
==+==
I guess I'm really tired of trying to do my bit to keep order and then
getting called the Thread Policeman or the Whatever by the rabble rousers
and hotheads and twits. Really, really, really tired of it.

I think what hurts the worst, Tim, is that you left my name off the list of
people who care about the community. How dare you!

So forget it.

You know what, Lindsay was right when he said my posts didn't seem the same
any more as they once were. It's not the same for me any more at all either.
His corrosion has corroded me too. I'm not stainless, I'm just mild steel,
and being sprayed with acid over and over and over eventually has its effect.

Enjoy Scott and his community wrecking ways. You all deserve him.

I can't say when or if I'll be back, but I think I need a break from posting
very much to the "friendliest place on the Internet" for a while, other than
flogging sets and doing the curatorship I committed to do. And when he
dances his little victory jig and goes on to bully someone else, don't be
too surprised to hear "I told you so" in the back of your mind."
==+==

The post was one of the many times he called me a liar [not quoted above]
without either justifying or retracting the statement.

Scott A

DaveE