 Off-Topic / Debate / 18618
Re: stopping topics vs. dealing with troublemakers and nonconstructive participants
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:50:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I know where Dave K. is coming from, hate the sin, love the sinner. He's a
nice guy with a big heart, but I think sometimes love includes shunning if
nothing else will work. For that reason I think Scott Arthur should be
completely ignored. Even when he posts something interesting. Not just by
me, but by everyone. He fails the above test pretty badly. (not straight
zeros mind you, but nowhere near any sort of good score)

I admit a bit of cheating on ignoring him. if someone else responds, I have
been known to respond to the responder. I probably should stop that.

I'm an incredibly tolerant person. It takes quite a bit to get me to
speak ill of someone. Scott Arthur has pushed me to that point. I
register as one point of evidence the current debate between Dave K and
Scott A. Dave was trying to be nice to Scott, and what's happening,
Scott's pulling out his usual debating style and totally clouding the
issue.

What is amusing is that I had just sent David a private message telling him
the pattern of Scott's debating "style" and the exchange just preceeding
your message was the proof of it.  It's like pulling teeth.  You have to go
round and round in circles trying to pin him down (note David's careful
reconstruction of the discussion).  Scott's ego-defense mechanism is to say
"I didn't say that" and provide neither supporting evidence or further
illumination.  When asked for further illumination he says he already has
been illuminating (then why the heck are they asking?).  And round you go
again.  Scott would be surprised at how many times I would agree with him,
but for that I just don't want to be associated with him in any way, shape,
or form.

I applaud David's mature approach, but Scott is only showing the futility of
such.  The only and best option is to stop feeding Scott's need for
validation.  Don't respond to his messages.

-->Bruce<--