 Off-Topic / Debate / 18636
Re: stopping topics vs. dealing with troublemakers and nonconstructive participants
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:55:46 GMT

I think if we bring it right back to the beginning of this particular
thread, Larry posted many good ideas and ways for us to agree to disagree
and move on.  Let us all, then, in the spirit of gentlemen, move on from
this particular issue to other things.

Let us also hold in our minds, the points that Larry listed as to what makes
a 'good debater'.  We may not necessarily agree on every specific 'jot and
tittle' (can I say 'tittle' in this group?) , but it is a good place to start.

So to begin again with ot-d, in 'boxing'ese, let's keep it clean, and no
punches below the belt, and see how far we get.

Clean slate--start afresh, and lets move on to other things to debate,
should we wish to debate, and keep in mind what makes a good
discussion--clarity, sincereness, and the ability to consider other people's
POV.

If we 'agree to disagree', then move on from a polarized issue, I think
we'll be doing a good service for all participants involved.

Dave K

I'm sorry, Dave, but how can there be a clean slate when Scott is dirtying
it faster than it can be cleaned?  Your current discussion with Scott simply
illustrates all of his usual tricks: decrying personal comments while
getting in as many as he can, constant denial and refusal to explain,
singling out one point so that he can mount an attack and on and on.  I know
you have good intentions, but you are just encouraging the cycle to continue.

If Scott would make some kind of effort, I'd relent, but he doesn't.  Here
you are going out of your way to be nice and he pulls the exact same tricks.
Everything that makes him so obnoxious just continues.  He hasn't learned a
thing.  If you can show me otherwise, I'll reconsider.  If Frank can show me
otherwise, I'll reconsider.  I think you are both wasting your time.  The
message would get across to Scott to straighten up a lot faster if was
ignored until he learned how to behave.  Until that time Scott just pretends
as if this is about his opinions, rather than the way he expresses them.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

It's those darn Christian ethics of mine--I always have this prevailing hope
that people can be redeemed.  I'm not the one who do the redeeming, but they
can, for themselves, show some sort of movement to bettering their situation
and of those around them if they are shown their erronous ways.

That said, with the latest round of posting--it's not that I'm losing
patience, its that I see no movement to help clear things up.

We shall see what transpires.

Dave K