 Off-Topic / Debate / 18643
Re: stopping topics vs. dealing with troublemakers and nonconstructive participants
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:39:14 GMT

It was a jest. But I do view that post as a troll. The post is 1000+ word
attack on me, and a request that all ignore me.

No it wasn't. From: http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=18612
==+==
I think there are two different questions here

Should discussion on a topic cease (for a while, permanently) if certain
things indicate it might be a good idea?

Sometimes there are people who post here that some may view as
troublemakers, or nonconstructive participants. What, if anything, should be
done about it?
==+==

It wasn't what? A 1000+ word attack on me or a request that all ignore me?

But check the last 2 lines:
==+==
I admit a bit of cheating on ignoring him. if someone else responds, I have
been known to respond to the responder. I probably should stop that.
==+==

After all that fuss and effort, he can’t even bring himself to commit to it! A
case of : “Do as I say, not as I do!”

At least he admits he knows he shouldn't do it.

Is that good or bad?

No you didn't. The topic was already discussed and out it the open. People
knew exactly what was being referenced, which is why you were banned. Your
demonstration of a point that was already clear was unnecessary.

That is not how I remember events. I can assure you I did what I did in good
faith and in plain view.

There is a difference between shoplifting by example and explaining to
people about shoplifting.

I'm not sure I accept your analogy, can you show why it is relevant?

but agree that it was
probably done out of more of an emotional reaction than your impersonation.
Yours (it seemed to me) was done out of a sense of pride-flaunting without
respect for the severity or necessity of the action. I suppose ultimately
that was an emotional reaction, but less so than Larry's.

I admit I did it without realising how seriously it would be viewed.

Does how it was viewed matter? Shouldn't what matter be that you
impersonated someone?

Can I impersonate someone by using my own name? Take a look, I did [IRC].

My recollection of events was not 100%, but below is some text from the post I
remembered. He left due the general indignation created – not in shame of his
actions.

You said: (http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=18624)
==+==
Did he not leave in shame for a couple of weeks afterwards?
==+==

As I said, "My recollection of events was not 100%". I think he should be
ashamed of what he did - I think we all have a right to privacy.

The post was one of the many times he called me a liar [not quoted above]
without either justifying or retracting the statement.

Complaining about not justifying statements? I would like to see you justify
more of your statements in the future, and fewer 1-liners.

Youch – a 2 line attack ;) Does your view of me make Larry's rather ugly antics
acceptable?

[BTW: I was actually complaining about not justifying accusations.]

Scott A

DaveE