 Off-Topic / Debate / 18616
Re: stopping topics vs. dealing with troublemakers and nonconstructive participants
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:14:56 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I know where Dave K. is coming from, hate the sin, love the sinner. He's a
nice guy with a big heart, but I think sometimes love includes shunning if
nothing else will work. For that reason I think Scott Arthur should be
completely ignored. Even when he posts something interesting. Not just by
me, but by everyone. He fails the above test pretty badly. (not straight
zeros mind you, but nowhere near any sort of good score)

I admit a bit of cheating on ignoring him. if someone else responds, I have
been known to respond to the responder. I probably should stop that.

I'm an incredibly tolerant person. It takes quite a bit to get me to
speak ill of someone. Scott Arthur has pushed me to that point. I
register as one point of evidence the current debate between Dave K and
Scott A. Dave was trying to be nice to Scott, and what's happening,
Scott's pulling out his usual debating style and totally clouding the
issue.

If you look at the history of Lugnet, I even made a stand to defend
Scott at one time. There was a time when Scott was a significant
contributor to the community even though it was only through sales (I've
looked in the past for Scott's posts, I found almost no posts outside of
market posts and debate posts).

I know there are other folks whose primary participation in Lugnet is on
.debate, but they do occaisionally contribute in other areas of Lugnet,
and I have seen their participation in the community outside of Lugnet.

I know many would like to point the same test at Larry. I'm sure there
are others who would score better than Larry. But there's a difference
between Larry and Scott. Larry has repeatedly demonstrated not only that
he does actually play with the brick (I'm trying to think of a time
Scott has posted a MOC or picture of his collection or anything), but
has repeatedly demonstrated a committment to building community. He
occaisionally tramples someone's toes while doing so, but so does
everyone else (I know I'm not perfect in that area myself).

Respect is something which is earned, though most of us automatically
grant a new person some amount of respect (but really they still earn
it, a pleasant greeting, for example, justifies a certain amount of
respect be given to a person). Respect is earned by contribution, not by
force of argument.

Frank