 Off-Topic / Debate / 18634
Re: stopping topics vs. dealing with troublemakers and nonconstructive participants
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:29:44 GMT

I think if we bring it right back to the beginning of this particular
thread, Larry posted many good ideas and ways for us to agree to disagree
and move on.  Let us all, then, in the spirit of gentlemen, move on from
this particular issue to other things.

Let us also hold in our minds, the points that Larry listed as to what makes
a 'good debater'.  We may not necessarily agree on every specific 'jot and
tittle' (can I say 'tittle' in this group?) , but it is a good place to start.

So to begin again with ot-d, in 'boxing'ese, let's keep it clean, and no
punches below the belt, and see how far we get.

Clean slate--start afresh, and lets move on to other things to debate,
should we wish to debate, and keep in mind what makes a good
discussion--clarity, sincereness, and the ability to consider other people's
POV.

If we 'agree to disagree', then move on from a polarized issue, I think
we'll be doing a good service for all participants involved.

Dave K