 Off-Topic / Debate / 18619
Re: stopping topics vs. dealing with troublemakers and nonconstructive participants
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 19:51:10 GMT

<snip>

What is amusing is that I had just sent David a private message telling him
the pattern of Scott's debating "style" and the exchange just preceeding
your message was the proof of it.  It's like pulling teeth.  You have to go
round and round in circles trying to pin him down (note David's careful
reconstruction of the discussion).  Scott's ego-defense mechanism is to say
"I didn't say that" and provide neither supporting evidence or further
illumination.  When asked for further illumination he says he already has
been illuminating (then why the heck are they asking?).  And round you go
again.  Scott would be surprised at how many times I would agree with him,
but for that I just don't want to be associated with him in any way, shape,
or form.

I applaud David's mature approach, but Scott is only showing the futility of
such.  The only and best option is to stop feeding Scott's need for
validation.  Don't respond to his messages.

-->Bruce<--

D'oh!  I forget sometimes that my e-mail program for my home account has to
be started manually when I'm at work.  So I didn't get Bruce's message until
now.

So there you are.

Dave K