 Off-Topic / Debate / 18658
Re: stopping topics vs. dealing with troublemakers and nonconstructive participants
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:47:37 GMT

It was only in part a request to ignore you. It was not a total troll post.

Obviously, I'm look at this from a different perspective.

It was not a total troll post. Feel free to show that it was.

At least he admits he knows he shouldn't do it.

Is that good or bad?

It is better than not admitting that he behaves wrongly.

You've not answered my question.

Yes I did. It is better to admit than not.

You could have explained how to fraudulently post instead of actually doing
it.

Indeed. Did I not apologise? Was my apology not good enough for you?

The apology was acceptable. But your criticism of Larry for the same seems
hypocritcal.

You could also show someone how a store is vulnerable to shoplifting by
actually doing it. Or you could just tell them about it.

Given that shoplifting is a crime with a victim, I'm not sure your analogy
holds water.

The victims were people who thought your post was by someone else.

Does how it was viewed matter? Shouldn't what matter be that you
impersonated someone?

Can I impersonate someone by using my own name? Take a look, I did [IRC].

That is not the point.

I think it is. I object to your use of the word "impersonate".

If you do not think you impersonated someone, they why did you apologize?

Complaining about not justifying statements? I would like to see you
justify more of your statements in the future, and fewer 1-liners.

Youch – a 2 line attack ;) Does your view of me make Larry's rather ugly
antics acceptable?

Again, that is not the point.

I think it is. Feel free to show otherwise.

Obviously the point here was you justifying your statements. Not Larry's
'antics'.

[BTW: I was actually complaining about not justifying accusations.]

A statement can be an accusation.

Indeed it can, but that is not always the case. Are you saying I have directed
unjustified accusations at anyone?

I am saying your statements are often made in o-t.debate without sufficient
justification.

DaveE